Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Aerenchyma and SK Conversation of the Week: The Altruist's Paradox

The following is a discussion held between me and my beloved after reading this little NYT diddy.

Aerenchyma:

-forwards said article to SK-


SK:

I don't care that it's unseemly that I'm counting; I am right three times this month.

I will submit to calling an act altruistic if the giver (mainly you) would just drop the campaign for martyrdom and admit that it make her feel good to give.


Aerenchyma:

Of course, it makes me feel good. Never denied that. Just said that my motivation didn’t originate in the feeling good but in the doing good.


SK:

Chicken and egg, chickie. Have you learned that doing good makes you feel good and that's the reason you're motivated to do good?


Aerenchyma:

Don’t chickie me, dopey. I have learned nothing of the sort. You assertion of such does not confirm its truthiness.


So I ask you, which one of us is right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mim said...

I'm gonna go with a 50/50 split, half cause it makes you feel good, half because the original impetus is to help others. You're both right! Now send me my check!

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading the article and letting it all sink in. I pondered over the paradox. I then read your comments to each other and there can only be one conclusion.


You are both flippin nuts!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home