Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Richard Rorty Dies

Contemptuous of analytics (of which I am), Rorty promoted fluffy humanism, claiming the goal of philosophy should be to improve the human condition. Nutty pragmatist.


Considered wacky and uninspired by the graduate student me, I now see a thoughtful man whose intellect was applied to the real stuff. What I once thought lacking of intellectual rigor has been replaced with an understanding that rigor for its own sake is a game unworthy of our best thinkers. Rorty got that and lived it. I'm glad I grew up enough to appreciate him. Maybe there's hope for others too.

Suggested title.

Adding to my reading list.


1 Comments:

Blogger poppy said...

I actually always liked Rorty... unsurprising considering what a wacky pragmatist I am. Sad news.

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home