Monday, September 24, 2007

Bookie Q & A

I often visit this bookie-blog that posits questions to its readers about bookie matters. These questions particularly interested me.

Imagine that everything is going just swimmingly. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and all’s right with the world. You’re practically bouncing from health and have money in your pocket. The kids are playing and laughing, the puppy is chewing in the cutest possible manner on an officially-sanctioned chew toy, and in between moments of laughter for pure joy, you pick up a book to read . . .

What is it?

Short stories, some favorites:

Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Madadies

Mary Yukari Water's The Laws of Evening

Amy Hempel's Tumble Home

Anything by Eudora Welty

Okay . . . picture this (really) worst-case scenario: It’s cold and raining, your boyfriend/girlfriend has just dumped you, you’ve just been fired, the pile of unpaid bills is sky-high, your beloved pet has recently died, and you think you’re coming down with a cold. All you want to do (other than hiding under the covers) is to curl up with a good book, something warm and comforting that will make you feel better.

What do you read?

Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar

Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale

…I tend to ruminate rather than attempt to be or feel comforted. It's the depressive in me.

Now you!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

On the good days:
Something really BIG that i love, like:
Time Traveller's Wife or The Historian
On the bad days, I will read anything. Reading has always always been my escape from reality. something wacky, like Crazy in Alabama would be perfect.

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Questions like this don't quite work for me cause I generally want to read a book I haven't read before and lose myself in it, whether a great literary novel or a reliably-written light mystery by a favorite author. Therefore, I won't know til I'm in the thick of it whether the book is a winner. - Mim

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read a few of the Janet Evanovich books - fun reads. Trying to read "Christina Falls" a british mystery. I'm looking for total escape novels at the moment.

When all else fails, I like to thumb through an issue of Marie Claire or Lucky. I know, neither counts as reading, but I can totally escape in looking through clothes that I will never buy.

Donna

1:06 PM  
Blogger Duf said...

For the first one: I would read poetry. If current reading trends hold sway, then it would be contemporary.

For the second one, I would probably reread Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis - it really makes me laugh.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home