Thursday, December 21, 2006

2006 Reading List (Yearly Round-Up):

History of Love by Nicole Krauss

A sweet book about an old man and his gift of a novel. I've read reviews of this book that described the lead characters are desperate. I found them amazing and quiet. The movement of this book is swaying, so if you're looking for fast, fun read, this isn't it. This is a beautiful read however. Thanks to SA for the recommendation.

Saturday by Ian McEwan

I liked this book very much. -So much so that I had a bit of a crush on the author for a bit (see mid-year crushes post near Julyish). It's well done and quick. I liked the main character quite a bit and his family rang true to me.

1984 by George Orwell

Clearly, the best book of the year. Can't believe it took me so long to get to it. Thank goodness for book club.

Losers Club by Richard Perez

Yeah, read the whole thing…really not good at all.

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor

I really loved this book. It was so slice of life, so ain't that they way, so perfect. Highly recommended.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

I expected to like this book a lot more than I did. I must reread as I clearly missed something. I'll give it another try in five years.

White Noise by Don DeLillo

Loved it. Loved it.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

Did not love it. Did love the book club discussion but otherwise, unless the back of the book tickles you silly, walk away.

The Friend Who Got Away Edited Jenny Offill and Elissa Schappell

HATED IT. To be honest, I didn't end up reading each and every essay. I couldn't because the vast majority of the essays I did read made me want to punch the editors. These essays somehow always lead from or to some freakin' guy. I'm not saying that us gals don't like the guys or don't do things we maybe aren't proud of because of the guys but it is my contention that men are not at the center of female relationships. -Just sayin'.

Little Children by Tom Perrotta

T'was fun.

Perspheniod - Margaret Atwood

Really good, but me loves Margaret as if she were my own.

Oh the Glory of It All by Sean Wilsey

Crappity crap crap crap. Who gives a flying rat's ass why this rich 20 something ended up having such a non-fun childhood? Ack!

Kafka on The Shore by Haruki Murakami

To be honest, still reading. Totally digging on it though. Really well written and interesting, bordering on fascinating. Yum!


Thanks to all of the folks that posted comments to my last blog. I'm starting to feel better…as if the color is coming back to my life. It's hard but I'm lucky to be so darn lucky and I know that and am thankful for it. Thankful for each of you. Incredibily thankful for each of you. Have a wonderful New Year and hug your Lovelies.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy McWeasel said...

Loved, loved the History of Love book. Like you, I found the characters to be quiet and amazing. The characters had such strong, unique voices. I adored Leo; I wanted to invite him over for dinner to assuage his loneliness.
--Amy

6:50 AM  
Blogger Amy McWeasel said...

Also, so glad to hear that the color is coming back to your life. Here's a hug for you...

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, just put the Margaret Atwood on hold at the library. I love her too, and don't know how I missed this one.

And hey, email me at diana@q7.com, 'kay? I've asked the evil SK for your new address a couple of times, and he hasn't sent it to me.

Happy new year to all of you!

Diana

2:16 PM  
Blogger Duf said...

Mrs. Duf and I both read Saturday (I loved it and so did she). This is silly, but there's this throw away line in there where McEwan marvels at how we can fit entire music libraries in the palm of our hand - that really stuck with me.

Mrs. Duf also read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (she's so stoic, I don't know how she felt about it) and Little Children (which (if I recall) she thought was weird).

Glad you're feeling better; here's hoping it continues.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn I should read a book....hey stop laughing....well ok it is kinda funny...me read...can ya just see that happening....LOL I crack my self up....what is a book anyway?????

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home