Friday, January 06, 2006

Gender Politics and Curiously Happy Folks

This morning Ubs and I were reading one of Ubs’ favorite books which happened to be given to him from his aunt Mim. As is Ubs new desire when reading books, I was naming all of the images on the page so that he could try out the words himself. “Shoe”, “schew”, “book”, “bookah”, “airplane”, “ah-aida” (not sure what that’s about), “dog”, “doGah”, “cat”, “meeOW”, “boy”, “Bboyeee”, “girl”, “mine!”...wait... “girl”, “mine!”, okay, let’s back-track, “cat”, “meeOW”, “boy”, Bboyeee”, “girl”, “mine!”.

Hurumpf. Somehow a discussion of gender politics seemed necessary but, I sensed, the topic may have gotten lost on my audience.

_______________________

Walking to the car today with Ubs, a black man (yes, his being black is of import in the context of this story so back off, sheesh) gave me a look, gave Ubs a look, and, while doing that head-throw back nod thing that cool people do, said, “Looks like he’s got some of me up in him.”

Whoa dude! I do NOT know you like that.

I just smiled and nodded and received his happy response, “Thought so!”

People are curious.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Looks like he’s got some of me up in him."

That is some funny stuff.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Amy McWeasel said...

Indeed - that is some funny stuff.

Oh, and as to the "girl" = "mine" thing...maybe Ubs has been listening to some Motown and now makes the connection for "My Girl"?

I'm reaching, but oh well.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear my boy Abe likes the books I pick... As to creepy guy, sorry, but skin color has nothing to do with my initial reaction which is: do not talk to me, creepy stranger man. -- Mim

1:51 PM  
Blogger Duf said...

Could it be the Michael Jackson song "The Girl is Mine"?

And my wife, who is white (I'm black and I hope both of our races matter to the next point), gets a comment every now and then from my people.

None of them, so far as I know, are as creepy as the one you received today.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

regarding the gender thing. abe my have some of me in him.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

With the "mine" thing... it could be as simple as Mom=girl, therefore girl=Mom=mine. You should be flattered!

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home