Friday, December 16, 2005

"Clarity of mind means clarity of passion, too; this is why a great and clear mind loves ardently and sees distinctly what he loves."

-Pascal

And what should we love? The ideals. Call me Plato, but I believe there are steadfast and tangible ideals that lead to living a good life. Okay that sounds a little bit Aristotelian. Even so, should this be the case, and I believe it is, there are ways of living that yield human flourishing. Make no mistake; the founding fathers of our country grasped this and tied the conception of this new nation’s identity to those ideals. Equality, an empowered citizenry, protections from governmental powers, divisions of powers toward those ends, and human rights were all rolled up in the constitution pig in a blanket style.

And so, when I saw this I thought, “Wow, we’re waking up to who we are.” In this single act, we’re remembering and reclaiming our identity. We seem to be nodding to the country that was promised to us by the founders and taking it for our own once again; the country that one can feel passionate love for may once again be ours.

Today is a good day.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful day!
kds

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I did a kind of impromptu cabbage patch when I read about that. Poppy can verify.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Sarcasmo said...

I had this wonderful moment of surreal surprise when I read the news. I can only hope it's a sign of things to come.

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home