Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Metaphysical Club

I finally picked it up and it is something! Here’s the premiss; take four thinkers that have impressed upon our country a way of thinking about ideas that translated industry, economy, governance and social constructs into ends in themselves that must, even so, be tempered, not out of duty to natural law, but out of pragmatic ends and put them in a room together to chat. What positions would be held? Who would be the most argumentative and who the most giving? How would the central themes of existence and value be hashed out?

The book describes these four thinkers individual histories; one, a young idealist solider giving way to Supreme Court Justice, one a son of a theologian bourn from wealth and entitlement becomes fascinated with the human psyche (I contend that his [William James’] sister [Alice] should have participated in the meetings as well. For more on her, read her Diary currently available on Amazon.), an underappreciated scientist turned philosopher (some contend posthumously), and an educator and only believer of a non-constructivist conception of truth (and, it follows, is, therefore, my personal favorite).

I haven’t gotten to the actual “club” or “chat” portion of the book yet, but I am super-looking forward to it. And this brings me to the point of this post; will someone, anyone, pick up this book and give it a read so that I will have someone to share the experience with? Come on, I know it’s a million pages, but it rocks out. Plus, all the cool kids are reading it. Come on…doooo ittttttt.

13 Comments:

Blogger Kelli said...

I love books with a million pages. But, I just can't do the non-fiction. Actually, I haven't been reading anything lately. Shame on me!

6:30 AM  
Blogger poppy said...

I have a bunch in my queue, but I'd be willing to put this in the #2 slot if you can wait that long.

Kelli-you should read Out if you haven't already. I think you might like it.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Poppy - Who's it by? I did a look up on Alibris but couldn't find anything by that name. (20 pages of things with Out in the title though).

12:14 PM  
Blogger poppy said...

Kelli-Oops! I thought it was on Libby's book list since we read it this year-bad Libby! It's by Natsuo Kirino.

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

reading hurts my little brain....ouch.....see!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Aerenchyma said...

Kelly will like Out for sure. Since posting my '05 reading list, I've thought of like 5 other books that I forgot to include. I'll try better in '06. Sorry kids.

Poppy, if the meta club is #2, I'm pressed to ask what #1 might be.

sjdude, sweetie, we all know you don't read...you barely sit upright.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Aerenchyma said...

Sorry for the typo Kelli.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Duf said...

Aerenchyma - I'm in. I'll read this book with you.

Be forewarned - I'm a slow reader.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

I'll pick it up at the library. Thanks! First I have to read the 2 books Steph got me for Christmas, Push Not the River, and The Dwelling.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Aerenchyma said...

Kelli and Duf,

That rocks out. Let me know when you've procurred copies.

Weeeee!

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got my copy at the 'brary this weekend. I'm in!

8:56 AM  
Blogger poppy said...

You're in luck! #1 was The Asiatics, which turned out to be On the Road circa 1930, so I dumped it. The Club is now being shipped and I will commence reading once it is in my grubby little hands.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Aerenchyma said...

Fabulous! This is all coming together so nicely!

Okay, so I'll post in a week about the first chapter-ish, that means pokey Duf better get on it. Then we can have a little chatty-chat-chat about it here.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home