Tuesday, October 04, 2005

It Seems Like in Times of Great Change, Nothing is New

Or is it that nothing is new?

I’m slumping. This is to be distinguished from that state of being “in a slump” as I believe I am actively participating in the process. Time was when I worked and worked and struggled and struggled but it seems the more money I make, the less work I do.

I’m sorry!! Sheesh. I know this is a well-held secret but I’ve decided to let the cat out of the bag. No reason not to really. What’s in it for me? Natta. I’m not invested in not working. I prefer the busyness and activity that comes with heads-down activity, rather than finger-pointing directing.

SK said that I am no longer getting paid to “work”, but that my salary is justified by the responsibility that comes with the position. I am, therefore, institutionalized. My “position” defines me, rather than my work. This makes me itch a little. Just a little.

I think I’d be more okay with such an arrangement if there was good news to read on the ‘net, or if I were a writer and could use the time to craft the great American novel. As it is, I try to fill my time learning MS Project and “following-up.”--Which isn’t so bad. Somehow, though, it feels like I’ve lived this life before and, while not a bad life, I sure could use something new.

7 Comments:

Blogger Duf said...

To quote a line from one of my favorite movies:

"Running things...it ain't all gravy."

Johnny Caspar
Miller's Crossing


I know your same struggles Aerenchyma. I like the "doing" part, and I don't so much like the "did you do that yet" part. And in my role, I have more of the latter than the former. It has its upside (unless, like me you subscribe to the "more money more problems" maxim), but it has it's downsides too.

My advice - start to wonk out on stuff like process redesign, finance, HR and all that super exciting stuff.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baby cakes, you've got to get me a *gig* like that.
kds

ps - what's with the word verification thingy?

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I KNEW IT! Several months ago "my place of employment" hired a talented individual (10 years younger) for a higher end job here. While I have various tasks assigned (read:dumped) to me, she goes to coffee and lunch with various people to learn the job, get her name known in the field ... whatever. My advice to you, E., is to become president of a local non-profit board. Any free time you have will be taken up by various little fires that you have to put out ... all because as president, it's your job.

Arasin

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds to me like you have made it. now learn to enjoy it.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Aerenchyma said...

duf-true dat, ain't no gravy. "Process redesign"...good stuff man!

kds-workin' on it girl!

Arasin-you're so right...though I refuse the presidental title...that would be TOO MUCH work!

tgwmsu-enjoy it? hmmmmm...I'll have to give that some thought...maybe if I didn't have to show in the office, I could pull that off. Now that would rock!

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were not supposed to let the secret out!! DOOGLEBLAB!!!

Now let me get back to all this work I have to do...zzzzzZZZZZzzzzzz

7:14 AM  
Blogger Aerenchyma said...

DOOGLELAB!?! Awesome!

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home