Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Music Meme

Poor me. Amy McWeasel claimed I’d respond to the challenge of answering this Music Meme. While not a challenge to most, I’ll admit, it will be to me. It could take me all day. Okay, here’s the truth of the matter…I think I articulated it rather well when speaking with AM about it and will use the same mental construct to explain…I don’t so much like music. Well, that’s not true, I can really like music in a particular setting, at a particular time, with a completely perfect piece of music. I have very little tolerance for music that fails to fit my mood RIGHT NOW, that coaxes me to think of things other than I’m thinking without it, that demands too much of my attention.—that basically gets in my way. It is for these reasons that I prefer silence. I know, GASP. But it’s true. I likened it to a sense of smell. Imagine the most beautiful smell that you’ve ever experienced and then imagine you’re standing next to someone that has never had that sense. I’m the gal next to you that doesn’t get your ohhhhing and ahhhhing. I’m a little jealous of you’re experience, but I just don’t have it in me…the music bug, that is. I like quiet. I like thinking without something external badgering me.

This issue was almost a deal-breaker for me and my friend SK. He’s a love-ah of music in a big way. Walking around without music to fill his head makes him incredibly uncomfortable. Music, regardless, of intensity, soothes my friend. Without it, he gets overwhelmed with the minutia of thoughts and aggressively bored with the void that is silence.

I have to admit that my friend has done better to accommodate my need for silence than me, his need for music, but it’s a process, right? I try to buy him CDs that grate on me so that he knows he’s loved in all of his musical audacity and he tries to be quiet while I’m conducting such important work as loading the dishwasher on Sunday morning.

That’s not to say that we still don’t bicker about it on occasion, but at least we know it’s a thorn and we’re gently trying to extract it.

Onto the meme. –I must admit, I feel better now that my secret is out. Thanks AM, very cathartic.

1. Total amount of music files on your computer? Big Daddy could answer this as we share the computer and I have no clue. I bet if you added his music up, it’d be a lot and I may have a few albums worth.
2. The last CD you bought? I haven’t bought a CD in years, I usually request that SK purchase them for me…I think Alicia Keys was in the last batch of requests.
3. The last song that you listened to before reading this? Barry Manilow “I Made It Through The Rain”…yeah, I know, not a good sign.
4. Name 5 songs that you listen to often or that mean a lot to you.
1. Rubberband Man, the Spinners LOVE IT
2. I Say A Little Prayer, Aretha
3. Rumors, some song on that album, I know not which, Fleetwood Mac
4. One of Prince’s song, I know not which.
5. Mother, Mother, I don’t remember the artist…she’s great though.

5. Who will take up the reigns of the meme? Maybe Feanor and Poppy? Dunno.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably "Dreams" on the Fleetwood Mac... that's the one everyone listens to. I prefer "Gold Dust Woman" off that CD.
kds

12:44 PM  
Blogger Amy McWeasel said...

Woo! So glad you filled out the meme. Cathartic, indeed.

You should find "Rubberband Man" as well as a bunch of Fleetwood Mac songs on your MP3 discs. The "Mother Mother" song is Tracy Bonham, who I think is great and so I have her CDs. I'll include it on your next MP3 disc, along with Prince and Aretha.

Thanks for playing along. :)

6:48 AM  
Blogger Aerenchyma said...

You're more than welcome dude. The Prince song is Pop Life and the Fleetwood Mac song has "chains" in it...I'm still unsure about that one--It might be the "Dreams" on the kds mentioned.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about your post today - I never considered a love of music a gift, but so it is. There have been so many times that a song saved my life, I swear. I've been so lucky to be part of an organization that brings musicians to Portland - again, I have seen several shows this year that opened my ears to different possibilities, and just made me happy to be alive in the very moment. I don't buy enough cd's, I really miss it. I want to treat myself to a new computer this year for the very reason of downloading music. Will anything on the internet be as good as the Archies? I can't wait to find out!

arasin

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home