Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Oh and About The Faith Card

I was going to post this as a comment to this post, which I found via this blog, which I love, but his comment section seems to be on the fritz. So here goes:

There seems to be all of this chitter-chat about playing The “faith card” as if the use of the definite article indicated that there is only one faith. So there’s the rub, yes? One faith, Christianity, claiming moral ownership of our country through righteous infiltration of our childrens’ schools, paternalistic usurping of our very will in our homes and doctors’ offices (not to mention pharmacies), constantly and unforgivingly threatening our representatives, strong-arming our courts and shaming our diversity in faithS, belief in rights over religion in the context of governance and denying the ability to BE moral in a secular context.

I feel the urge here to be the “good non-threatening liberal” and say that I don’t mean ALL CHRISTIANS and I think MOST CHRISTIANS are great folks who, like Muslims have recently been demonized but wholly crap! if I were a Christian, I’d think it my duty to straighten out the jack asses that are behaving in a seemingly non-Christian way by, well, being jack asses, and I would do this by making as much noise about their evil, and I do mean evil, righteousness and moralistic superiority as I would at my kids' soccer games or in the church choir.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRING ON THE LIONS!!!
kds

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a voice in the darkness. my it become a roar.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Aerenchyma said...

Wow this blogging business is working wonders on my ego!

1:57 PM  
Blogger erinberry said...

The liberal religious groups, like Presbyterians (PCUSA), Congregationalists, and Unitarian Universalists, are speaking out against this hijacking of "faith". But they're not nearly as loud or numerous as the crazies out there.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Aerenchyma said...

Erin,

The lunatics are better at screaming. I wish we liberals could get a little more hysterical. But then again, we don't want to live that way, do we? And there's the rub.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home