Tuesday, March 29, 2005

So, I got mugged last night.

Fucking Fuck ‘n Fuck. Shit, Shit, Shit. On my own fucking street. I keep replaying it over and over in my head. I should have held on to my purse longer, maybe I’d still have it, I should have let go sooner, maybe I wouldn’t have the bruises and scrapes. I’ve concluded that these “shoulds” are my way of pretending I had power in the situation. I think the idea that I was a failure in the context of a crazy situation is much better for my psyche than feeling as if I had no control at all. What I take from the experience: failure is better than powerlessness.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! Are you okay?

9:36 AM  
Blogger Aerenchyma said...

Shoot. I should have said I was. Yes, I'm fine, thanks. It could have been much worse. I'm very pleased as there was no unnecesary violence...no kicking, no punching...very nice muggers. Bastards.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Amy McWeasel said...

Oh no! That's terrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you. :(

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry... hope you're OK. That's really scary. The baby wasn't with you I hope?
kds

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, honey, that sucks! I'm so glad you're OK! Have you ever taken a self-defense class? I keep meaning to... supposedly they give you lots of confidence on how to deal wiuth scary bad shit like this (even if that means handing over the purse, at least it's something you have actively decided to do and rehearsed in advance) - Mim

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home