Wednesday, December 29, 2004

2005 Nippin' on the Heels of 2004. Ouch!

The end of the year is upon us, with the new year nipping at its heels. A quick and, hopefully, relatively painless look back on the year seems fitting—followed by my most favorite of activities, compiling my readings for the year to come.

2004 brought…

…a delightful little person with a kind soul and a persistent streak that inspires me.
…a stronger, better and all around more fun relationship with my father.
…the best cake I’ve ever eaten (thanks to Kelli).
…the best vacation that I’ve ever had (thanks to mom, J, M, S, E, D and A)
…an exciting national election campaign.
…Barack Obama.
…a brutally painful election result that I continue to work through in my head, over and over and over again.
…the realization that fear motivates, differences are divisive if played right (duh!), and that while having something isn’t always enough for some—having it while others don’t seems to do the trick.

The 2005 reading list:

The aforementioned Time Traveler’s Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger (okay so I started reading it early, couldn’t help it)
The Namesake, by Jhumpa Lahiri
Don’t Know Much about History, by Kenneth C. Davis
The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco
Dreams from My Father, by Barack Obama
Crescent, by Diane Abu-Jaber
Snow, by Orhan Pamuk
Runaway: Stories, by Alice Munro

Recommended readings from last year’s list:

The Pleasure of my Company, by Steve Martin
The Other Boleyn Girl, by Philippa Gregory
Interpreter of Maladies, by Jhumpa Lahiri
Nickel and Dimed, by Barbara Ehrenreich et al.
My Life, by Bill Clinton CD ONLY! Way too long to read and not worth the work, but a fine listen.
Lies and the Lying…, by Al Franken, CD format. It’s more fun to hear him read it.

And, finally, I loved this article for some reason. I think it has something to do with identity, who we are in time—a time without a name. I dunno. It’s still cookin’.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1004 was a long time ago!

I also enjoyed Lies and the Lying Liars... Didn't hear it on CD, though; I bet it's fun that way.

You're going to love The Name of the Rose, I think. What a fantastic book.

-Feanor

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I don't *think* we've ever met, but we apparently have a few friends (Ms. McWeasel, Feanor & Poppy, etc.) in common and apparently similar tastes in books. For instance, I've been waiting to get to the new Pamuk book for a long time too, but poor students like me must wait for the trade paperback. I've read about a third of Obama's book, and I liked what I read; for a politician, he's a good writer, very honest and witty. I've also toyed with the idea of The Time-Traveller's Wife, but a negative review of a friend left me reluctant to spend money; I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

In any case, keep posting about books and I'll probably keep reading.

- Dan "Super Tarzan" Linehan

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you can't guess who I am....but I will say I love St. Bernards. I sometimes wonder what women would raise a women like you...and a women like me? Whom so different and not the same at all, but I bet if we hooked up for lunch sometime we would have a enjoyable time.
Keep up the postings it is interesting to see whats up with ya.
I am reading the First Four Years by Laura Ingles Wilder and find it wonderful.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home